Friday, June 3, 2011

Can I Change A Mac G3 Beige Processor? And...?

I have a mac G3 640MB Memory with a 55.42GB Hard drive. I want to change the processor in the mac, is this possible? And if so what do I need to do, if you could step by step thanks. I also have one more question, when I go to Youtube, the videos are slow and do not play well, why is that? Do I need to upgrade anything like my video card or what? And if so how can I do it? Please step by step on this one two please. Thank you so much. I have Mac 10.2.8 software on my mac now. 10.3 will not work, but I do have the software if someone knows how to get it to work on my mac.Can I Change A Mac G3 Beige Processor? And...?It's not only possible it's fairly easy, first you need to identify the revision you have:



http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/machi



Ignore the comment that processor upgrades are no longer available, they are available here:



http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades



1. Start by releasing the latch and removing the side access panel.



2. Lay the computer on it's side and unlock the top chassis by moving the two green locking latches upward and outward



3. Swing up the handle, and gently swing the top chassis up and out so that it rests on the table surface



4. The processor module is under the large silver heatsink, undo the screw that holds the processor wire to the top of the logic board.



5. Press down on the locking clip that secures the heatsink while popping the front tab out with a flathead screwdriver.



6. Lift up the clip to remove it from the heatsink



7. Lift the heatsink off the processor module



8. Lift up the metal lever at the left of the processor module



9. Pull the processor straight up (carefully) by the edges, don't bend the pins!



Follow the procedure in reverse with the new processor.





The reason Youtube videos are slow is most likely because the machine is so old, upgrading the processor will be a good start, the video card upgrade will help too.



This was the only video card upgrade option I could find for that machine:



http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades



Replacing the video card is easy, simply do steps 1 - 3 for the processor upgrade, undo the single phillips head screw and pull the card out.



When you put the new card in just line it up and push straight down. Replace the screw %26amp; you're set.



Once you add the new processor you should be able to install OS 10.3 without any issues.



Having said all that I think it's important that I mention that this machine is twelve years old, and not really worth the money to upgrade. The cost of the upgrades is around $300 - $500 and instead you could probably get a really solid G4 tower off craigslist for between $150 and $350. So only proceed with the upgrade if you really, really love it.
  • getting an error report
  • medium hair styles
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment